The 27th European Hockey Federation was held at the Grange Hotel, London today.
Following the formal opening from Marijke Fleuren, President EHF, Leandro Negre, FIH President addressed the delegates. He concentrated his address on the new digital media explosion and how the emphasis of media watching has shifted to mobile devices. Hockey must be mindful of this change of direction and it’s essential that we keep in line with delivering content in a way that will inspire the next generation. He congratulated Marijke on her election to the IOC Women in Sport Commission. He reminded the delegates of their role in influencing the important Sport
The EHF President then addressed the meeting. She emphasised the importance of remembering that there is a world outside hockey, but that often it is our connections with hockey and living the values of hockey that can help in other aspects of life.
Once again she reminded the delegates about the importance of listening. The General Assembly theme is Europe You’re Up! And that was very clearly reflected in the Agenda of the GA.
She reminded the NAs of the importance of growing their Youth Panels, especially in light of Leandro Negre’s address.
Angus Kirkland, Director General reported on the EHF activities over the past 2 years.
Mika Rihtila presented the accounts for 2014 which were approved.
Minor amendments to the Statutes were approved.
Presentations were received from:
- Mike Joyce, presented on behalf of Kelly Fairweather, CEO FIH on the Hockey Revolution and the strategy to 2024.
- David Agius, Malta Hockey reported on the first European Hockey 5 Mediterranean Cup.
- David Voskamp, on behalf EHF, reported on the 2016 EuroHockey Futures Cup and the Road to Buenos Aires, Youth Olympic Games.
- Slaven Zlater, Croatian Hockey, reported on their strategy on developing hockey outside Zagreb.
- Helen Bushell, Director Chief Executive of Hockey Wales, reported on the success of “Back to Hockey” in Wales.
- Erik Gerritsen, President of KNHB, announced the Sharing Knowledge Programme in the build up to the 2017 EuroHockey Championships.
- Norman Hughes, Development and Education Manager, EHF, was pleased to announce that in accordance with the development survey there has been a growth of 8% growth in hockey over the past 2 years. However it was important for the stronger nations to reach out to the smaller nations.
Results of Elections:
Marijke Fleuren, (NED), President, elected
Mika Rihtila, (FIN), Hon.Treasurer, elected
Inez Cooper, (IRL), Ordinary Member, elected
Leonardas Caikauskas, (LTU), Ordinary Member, elected
Simon Mason, (ENG), Ordinary Member, elected
Marijke Fleuren summed up the 27th General as an “inspiring day which embraced the theme of the Assembly with so many wonderful contributions’. She was pleased with the advancement of the EHF in its social media platforms, recognising that this is an area that we need need to continue to grow. She added “Bearing in mind the strategic initiatives of the Hockey Revolution we believe that we are already on the road with some aspects in place.” She was very pleased with the plans for Sharing Knowledge from the KNHB in the lead up to the EuroHockey Championships in 2017, noting that many developing nations could start to see “the light at the end of the tunnel”.
“We are well placed to get hockey in Europe to be the strong sport that the FIH has challenged us to build by 2024. This coming 10 days in London will be big, bold, packed and loud!!”
Finally she said that it was “her absolute delight and honor to present the Member of Honour Award to Wiert Doyer. Wiert has demonstrated without any doubt all the aspects of a hockey volunteer. His expertise in competitions lead him to be known as the encyclopedia of Rules and Regulations. His fairness as a TD brought him to the highest appointments in hockey. His devotion to his mother, a huge hockey fan and his art of delegation demonstrate his undeniable exceptional services to the EHF.”
She concluded that it was a wonderful day of involvement, and she truly felt that Europe is Up!
Photograph: Marijke presents the EHF Member of Honour Medal to Wiert Doyer (EHF/Frank Uijlenbroek)