Irish produce huge comeback to deny Scotland

Posted On 18th August 2019

Belfius EuroHockey Championships
Men’s Pool B
Ireland 3 (S O’Donoghue 2, T Cross) Scotland 3 (K Bain 2, C Falconer)
Ireland fought back from 3-1 down in the final five minutes to draw their Celtic derby with Scotland, leaving both sides to reflect on a close-run battle.

Tim Cross and Shane O’Donoghue both scored in quick succession in the last five minutes to complete the comeback and earn a point. O’Donoghue had earlier given Ireland a first-quarter lead before Kenny Bain’s double and one from Craig Falconer saw Scotland lead 3-1 before those late goals.

In a lively first quarter, Scotland were first to show what they can offer in front of goal, Andy Bull’s corner push hitting the post after Jamie Carr got a crucial boot to the shot.

Ireland replied in kind, making most of the play with a speedy set of counter-attacks and they went in front in the 12th minute when John Jackson stole possession in the left corner. He crossed through a forest of legs to find Shane O’Donoghue unmarked and he picked his spot for his second goal of the tournament.

They looked the more likely to add to their total until the last few minutes of the second half but a late Scottish salvo put the pressure on. Lee Morton delivered the perfect ball and Kenny Bain stepped in front of his marker to deftly touch in for 1-1 in the 28th minute.

Scotland then carried that momentum into the third quarter, moving in front for the first time from their third penalty corner. The first drag was saved by Mark Ingram but Bain was on hand to poach the rebound.

It gave them a noticeable lift in confidence as they made most of the attacking moves. Murray Collins did get a yellow card but it didn’t slow their momentum and in his absence, Alan Forsyth was only denied by an amazing Ingram save.

It became 3-1 when Craig Falconer got in behind his man on the left side, spun around his marker and flicked into the top of the goal.

Ireland were in a desperate position but they got a lifeline via Tim Cross’s first goal in green, a wonderful shot from right to left in the circle. That came with five minutes to go and they went on to win two penalty corners in the endgame, one of which was given as a stroke after a video review.

O’Donoghue kept his nerve and flicked into the left of the goal for 3-3. And it might have been even better but Sean Murray saw Tommy Alexander somehow save his deflection in the last minute.

“We back ourselves in the way we play to get a result,” Cross said after inspiring the comeback. “We had patches where we were loose across the whole field and, in international hockey, teams will punish you.

“We managed to fight back at the end which was class by us but we just need to bring that energy to all four quarters rather than patches of it.

“It keeps us alive and anything can still happen. We got into Germany positive and looking to win – there’s always a chance if we turn up and play our best stuff.”

Scotland’s two-goal striker Bain said: “We made a big step up from yesterday, but I’m devastated to draw the match and with my part to give away the corner that led to the Ireland goal at the end. Our performance was outstanding, we were unlucky not to win, but respect to Ireland – they’re a good side.

“We did a lot of video work last night to connect better high up the pitch and it worked well. It’s about competing, we’re not here for nothing, we’re here to take these teams to the brink. The next game against the Netherlands will be really hard but we’re going to go for it – were looking forward to playing a great side.”

Umpires: J van ’t Hek (NED), A Ortiz (ESP)

Ireland – Scotland

12’ Shane O’Donoghue (FG) 1-0
28’ Kenny Bain (FG) 1-1
33’ Kenny Bain (PC) 1-2
51’ Craig Falconer (FG) 1-3
55’ Tim Cross (FG) 2-3
58’ Shane O’Donoghue (PS) 3-3

Related Posts

EHF Announces New Committees

The EHF has announced today new Committees for the period January 2020 - December 2021. Some changes have been made to the structure of the Committees to reflect the current and proposed work of the EHF. The President, Marijke Fleuren said "I would like to sincerely...

Report from the Final EHF Board meeting of the decade!

The Executive Board met in Brussels, Belgium for the last meeting of 2019, indeed the last meeting of this decade. The President, Marijke Fleuren welcomed everybody and especially the new members for their first meeting in the EHF Office in Brussels. The President...