The European Hockey Federation and England Hockey took the perfect opportunity of the gathered press at the Rabobank Hockey World Cup to update the world’s media on plans for the EuroHockey Championships in 2105
The EHF President, Marijke Fleuren said that ‘Following the announcement last week that we will be back in the Netherlands for the 2017 EuroHockey Championships, we cannot forget that prior to Amsterdam the hockey family will once again gather in London! We are delighted to be returning to London, the scene of a superb Olympic Games for hockey. What a chance we have to demonstrate to the IOC the very positive and tangible outcomes of the London 2012 Olympic Games, clearly evidencing legacy in action, not words bandied about to win bids! The EHF Executive Board and staff are very excited to be returning to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, for our Championships which will be athlete-centric and working in partnership with England Hockey to stage the first big international event at the Olympic legacy facility.”
Sally Munday, CEO of England Hockey outlined the plans for the Championship noting ‘ We are really excited. Belgium did a fantastic job in 2013, add to this the Rabobank Hockey World Cup and what a celebration of hockey we have! England Hockey is really keen to build on the success of these events and build on the momentum and visibility of hockey in England, following on from the success of the 2012 Olympics. The core values of the EuroHockey 2015 event fit very well with the values of England Hockey as a governing body, and those who play the game in our country – a strong sense of national pride, a family offering, and a focus on entertainment. These are the messages we want to push with this event, to encourage yet more interest in our sport.’
In relation to specifics she added:
- England Hockey’s Olympic legacy facility – the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre opens in a week’s time. It’s a superb new venue, with 3,000 permanent seats and two high quality blue pitches.
- The first event there from 9 to 13 July, the Investec London Cup, teams participating are:
o Women – ENG, RSA, SCO & WAL
o Men – ENG, IRL, SCO, & RSA
- The event’s website is now live, at eurohockey2015.co.uk where people can register their interest for tickets, find the schedule, and access the EuroHockey 2015 facebook and Twitter pages which are also now live
- ParaHockey and Masters tournaments will run alongside the main Championships, demonstrating both the EHF’s and England Hockey’s commitment to these important and growing areas of hockey
Click here for the Tournament Schedule
The tournament schedule introduces two new points of change:
- A Friday night start with men’s matches
- The Tournament concludes with the women’s final for the first time
- After the World Cup when the new World Rankings are announced the Pools and matches will be updated.
- Tickets go on sale on 24th July 2014
It’s certainly going to be a time to Celebrate Hockey!